Sunday, January 3, 2010

Travels With Karen

by Karen Graves
I’ve had some small success with my cockatiel, Puck. I took Bijoux out today for his little outing with me, on my shoulder, when Puck starting acting frantic, running madly back and forth in search of his buddy. Bijoux heard his cries of distress and called back to him, making him even more frantic. I decided to try to lure Puck out of the cage, using Bijoux as willing enticement, and it worked, after I used a bag tie to secure the cage door open.

At first Puck hesitated, but concern over Bijoux overcame his fear and he hopped, then tried to fly out of his cage. Bijoux saw him do this and fluttered down off my shoulder, to the floor, where they both ran to meet each other. I picked them up gently, one at a time, and ensconced them on my right shoulder.

To my surprise, Bijoux was a little jealous of Puck’ s close proximity to me, and tried to chase him away, but Puck was equally determined to stay put, and proceeded to groom my hair. After a few minutes, the two of them were quietly sitting on my shoulder where they occasionally ruffled their feathers. They were content to stay like this for over an hour, as I sat at my kitchen table, reading. When I put them back, Puck did not try to bite like he usually does. I’ m hoping if I can continue working with him, he'll eventually come to trust me.

The year 1999 was a peak travel year for me...(culminating with) my second week’ s vacation in October to Bangkok and Hong Kong.

...Wending our way through the crowded streets [of Hong Kong], Paula and I finally came to Tung Choi Street. The goldfish market was to be found on the upper portion of the street, while the Ladies Market was on the lower half. What was remarkable was that for five blocks on either side of Tung Choi Street, all the stores were aquarium stores. Each of them specialized in tank set-ups, while others also specialized in outdoor pools or ponds. They also sold fish of all kinds, from fancy goldfish to beautiful pond koi, to tropical fish, and even salt-water fish. Paula and I were amazed by all the different fish we saw that day, some of which neither of us had seen before.

Fish are very popular among Chinese families because of the belief that a fish tank properly placed in a house can ward off bad luck. We saw numerous fish fanciers making purchases and having stores design tank set-ups for them. The market is open from 10 am to 6 pm.

Once we finished looking at the stores that interested us, Paula and I walked up Tung Choi Street , crossed Nullah Road, to the very bust Prince Edward Road West. We were a little overwhelmed by our surroundings and were unsure as to how to find the Flower Market and Bird Garden. Paula spied a police station on the corner of Prince Edward and Nathan Roads, and suggested we go in and ask for directions, since we were sure that they could speak English.

We walked into the police station and explained that we were tourists, and politely asked how to find the places we were looking for. The policeman at the front desk couldn't’ t have been nicer and explained in perfect English how to find the Flower Market and the Bird garden. As it turned out, we were close to these sights.

...Flower Market Road ran into Yuen Po Street and it was here that we found the Bird Garden. As we entered, we could hear the songs of numerous birds. I was struck by the sense of age and tranquility that this place had surrounding it. There were about 70 stalls that showcased a variety of songbirds of different sizes and colors. Many of the smaller ones were in bamboo cages, while their hook-billed cousins could be found in metal cages.

Besides the birds, many of the vendors also sold supplies and cages. This garden with its moongates, topiary shrubbery, and birds, was charming place to visit. Songbirds remain a favorite of some of the local men, and Paula and I saw many little groups of them out sitting with their little bird cages, spending time with their pets, and drinking warm tea they had brought in thermoses. Several of them proudly showed their avian friends to us as we walked by.

Some of the more memorable birds I saw there included cages of colorful lories, a trio of blue and gold macaws, a green-wing macaw, and a Moluccan cockatoo. All of these birds were trained to do different tricks and they could all say words in English and Chinese. The macaws were natural clowns, and the cockatoo was quite an acrobat. Paula and I got a kick out of these avian pranksters. They seemed pretty popular with the people visiting the garden, and in no time there was a crowd watching them do their tricks.

All the birds were clean and well cared for, and the garden was testimony to the pampering they receive from owners and vendors alike. The Yuen Po Bird Garden is free, and open to the public from 7 am to 8 pm. It was worth the little extra to go and see this extraordinary little spot in this big, bustling city.

Thanks again,

Karen [Graves], Kashmir, William, Bijoux, Puck

No comments:

Post a Comment