Sunday, January 3, 2010

Love, Sweet Love

By Richard "Schmaltzman" Chiger, O.Y., V.E.Y.
Not being a veteran bird breeder, I am generally amazed by the sweet, and new to me, acts of affection that seriously connected birds show to each other. Case in point is my cockatiel couple, Zeke and Penelope. I am always telling about them flying all over me or how hard she has worked without his help in raising a family.

Now, however, I have been witness to the sweetest interaction between the two of them. They stand on a cage, or shelf, or perch or branch together and she lowers her head to him. As soon as she does this, he, almost shyly, walks over to her and puts the top of his head against hers. They stand like that for several minutes at a time. I generally leave, giving them their privacy, so I don't know exactly how long this, this show of affection goes on.

Once, as I saw them in this compromising situation, Antonio flew onto the place where they were standing. Zeke, immediately, turned around and chased him, yelling at him the whole time. I guess there are certain situations where "the child' ;is not welcome and this was definitely one of them.

I believe that all of this will lead to some more clutches of baby cockatiels. I personally wish they would use birdy birth control, because I get stuck taking care of the kids after they grow up. As of now, Zeke has begun an investigation of the inside of an old classroom desk. Penelope has been following him in there and I think that will probably be their new nest............

Good luck to them. Perhaps this time, Zeke will help take care of the babies, or maybe just bring some nice treats like a bird's idea of flowers and candy to Penelope. All that remains to be seen........................................................


RÌCHÌE

No comments:

Post a Comment